Monday, October 24, 2011

Supper for one

Growing up, my mom fixed supper every night. Not hamburger helper or easy mac, but real home cooked meals. I looked forward to what mom was cooking all day. As soon as I got in the car from school I wanted to know what we were having. My favorites are lamb or steak on the grill, zucchini spaghetti with ground turkey meatballs, or fish-- usually fresh from the gulf and frozen--ready to go at our convenience, we always had delicious dinners from a true chef.  In college, I rarely cook for just one. My idea of a quick supper is butternut squash thrown in a pot with some water and blended for a fall soup. 




Well tonight I changed it up. Salmon is on the menu, just for me. Its weird to cook for one person, I usually throw some butternut squash in a pot with some stock and call it a night but not this Monday. I decided to treat myself tonight, made a list, and headed to the grocery to pick out the best piece of salmon our little Kroger has to offer. This was ridiculously fast. ridiculously. I seasoned the fish with salt and pepper a dash of dill while the olive oil was heating in the pan, as soon as the oil was smoking I tossed the fish in,  waited maybe 2 minutes,  flipped, re-seasoned and it was time to eat. So much for a night to myself cooking, I blinked and it was over. 






No comments:

Post a Comment